View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2000 View Post
I have had great luck just calling all the dealers listed on my carfax. All shops were glad to talk about what they did on the car, However they would not give me any print outs or work orders of any sort. They told me they could not release any of that as it may have the name of prior owner on it. The ownership is what i was told could not be given out, which may be on records. I just called and wrote everything down.
The previous owner's information is considered private, but the actual work order records are also their property (they paid to have the work done, and therefore legally own all the related documentation). They should not be released to a third party without the prior owner's written consent. We go through this all the time when a prospective buyer wants to see the service records on the car; my lawyers require me to obtain a written authorization from the owner at the time of the work order before we can let anyone see them, and we are required to redact the customer's personal data (address, phone, etc.) before doing so.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote