Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post
1. I am trying to decide between a single DIN and double DIN
This is a matter of preference.
Quote:
2. Would like bluetooth, iPod connectivity, HD radio, but not interested in Navigation (have iPhone for that). Besides, the navigation in my BMW stinks.
If you're not looking for Nav or DVD playback, I think you don't need double din
Quote:
3. Willing to modify OEM brackets in dash to get good speakers to fit.
4. Would prefer to replace OEM Bose speakers in doors with same size that fits without modifying, but would be willing to do so. Here is one thing I am confused about; are my door speakers subwoofers or not, since I have a subwoofer in the rear deck? Do I replace those door speakers in the doors with two-way speakers or pure woofers? Maybe I do not know the difference between woofers and sub-woofers.
Get a 3 way component speaker set with 5.25" mid-bass, 4" mid-range, and a 0.75 tweeter, for dash and doors (example, the Focal 130KR). Get 2 5.25" subs like the Focal 13KS to replace the subs on the back box, and disconnect the back tweeters.
Quote:
5. Can I find an amplifier that will fit exactly where the OEM Bose amp is located in the front trunk? How do I know if it needs to be a 4 channel or something else? Many people have two amps. Is that really necessary?
You have to power tweets and mids left and right(2 channel), mid bass(2 channel) and sub box (1 channel). The Bose amp has 6 channels (the last one is for the sub box tweeters). The head unit has internal 4 channel amp, you can use some of its channels if you don't want to buy a 5 or 6 channel amp, but you'd have to connect the speakers direcly to the head unit. There are a lot of reasons different reasons why some people have several amps, but the only relevant to your problem would be that it's cheaper to buy a 2 channel amp and a 4 channel amp, than a 6 channel amp.
Quote:
6. I would prefer not to have to run new wires. Is that possible, do I need adapters to make this work?
You will have to run new wires from the head unit to the amp. That's the bare minimum, I think.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote