View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
KevinH1990

I bought my 2000 base with 30,000 miles on it - but that was 7 years ago. I had a series of problems with it right after I bought it. I had to replace the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and then had a problem with the fuel system that made the car hard to start after fueling. There was also a leaking oil filler tube and then an oxygen sensor failed. Now that I drive it about 8,000 miles per year it seems to have fewer problems. I don't know whether my experience is typical or just a run of bad luck, but there does seem to be some basis to believe that Boxsters have fewer problems when driven regularly. At 32k, you are due for a plug change and some other maintenance items. Since the car doesn't have records you will probably need to do the 30k service to bring the car up to date.

Overall, I really like my 2000. I've done a few upgrades that have made it even nicer. The plastic rear window in the top is the major downside of an 00-02 car vs. the 03/04 cars. I replaced my top with one off of an 04 and the difference is significant. On the plus side, an 00 is likely to have a dual row Intermediate Main Shaft (IMS) bearing which may make a major engine failure less likely. It is also easier to upgrade the audio system on an earlier car than it is on the 03/04 cars.

RawleyD makes a good point about the car not being an S. There are many days I wish I had held out for an S, but the market at the time was $10k higher for an S. Also, if you are going to drive the car frequently, you will be in traffic. I don't use most of my car's potential most of the time, so the lower power when compared to the S may not be as important as you think. The non-S appears to get better fuel economy.

Good luck with the choice you make.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 10-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote