View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
The Radium King

failing aos causes vacuum. vacuum can collapse the accordion portion of the oil fill tube. tube cracks, leaks oil onto top of engine, especially when tossing the car around.

the difference between ims and clutch is that the ims may or may not fail, and costs a lot to replace. so, you have to assess your personal risk levels and decide if you want to risk-manage the issue. with a clutch, it is a wear item and will need replacing just like brake pads, tires and oil. so, typical approach is that if you've gone through the expense of dropping the transmission then may as well do the clutch, especially at 95k. I think rms is a red herring; Porsche sold the new m96 engines as an improvement over the old air cooled engines and, as such, shouldn't drip oil. rms may weep a bit of oil, so what. my rms is typically dry, but if I go and run at max rpm for the day at the track then i'll get a bit of oil from the crank spinning 7,200 time per minute.

otherwise, for the cost get an ebs oil sump baffle installed - better oil management, easy to install with the sump off, and replaces a few essential pieces of plastic in the engine with metal.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote