View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
max_asdf

where did you smell coolant?
I only smell coolant when i sniff the engine fan compartment with it blowing hard.

How much coolant was forced out when you stopped?

I have 2 more questions,

1. Does topping up coolant have any chance of inducing air pockets to system? by having the air expand, the car would only dump the 'new added' coolant out?
2. How much coolant were you guys losing with a failed cap, before replacement. 1 quart?

plan to change my 01 cap, and bring it in this week for a check. will report back. The thing is, apart from the leak pictures on first post, I have not seen a leak since. No coolant low light, but manually see coolant level down from tank markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
That's a bad picture, but mine was not as bad. Just a few white spots on the water pump pully shaft. But the bearing was shot and the pully was rubbing on the upper bolt.

My first indication was a coolant smell. Then a few droplets of water (trail) when I parked it. But I thought it was the AC. On the way in to work the next day, the car overheating blowing white vapor out the engine compartment. Interesting enough, the coolant temperature gauge barely got above the 0 when this happened, but the coolant take was low and the light flashed. When I stopped, pressure forced out additional coolant. I had it towed home and replaced my water pump as a DIY.

Last edited by max_asdf; 10-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.
max_asdf is offline   Reply With Quote