View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Trax

Buying a 2010 boxster 2.9L - White smoke on start up. Need advice!

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me a little advice here. I'm looking at a beautifully maintained boxster 2.9l base model. Has the PDK tranny (I drive in absurd traffic). It's been serviced by porsche throughout it's lease period. Guess what though. Started it up inside the showroom at a dealer and a good sized white puff exits it's rear end and then no smoke. They're bringing the car to a porsche dealer to have it checked out. It has about 4k miles left on the warranty.

I'm thinking they're going to report this as a normal occurrence, but after reading more and more about the problem I'm thinking otherwise (piston rings, piston clearance problems, scoured cylinder walls). To be honest I think any car that smokes when starting up cold that isn't from the 70's or older is bit absurd. Does Subaru have a new technology to keep it's 6-flats from belching smoke when starting. I still love the car though. ALOT.... That's why I'm asking you chaps what to do. I've owned many cars including a 944, but this is just such a weird problem to be seeing on car that was just service 1k miles ago. Anyone here have some advice to throw at me? I might just give up and look at getting an slk55 instead.

Really like this car though, so I'm hoping you guys say to go for it. I'll be looking into an extended warranty though. Just don't want a major problematic car right off the bat. :ah:

Cheers!

Last edited by Trax; 10-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote