View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #88
Nine8Six

UPDATE: Cutoff line quality and ballast specs details

A member PM'ed me (actually, blasted me) regarding my above reply to member Ohh my. The cutoff line question was more toward 'quality' reason and my reply was perhaps less than acceptable (fair enough). He also reminded me that I didn't specifically needed the 986 to prove that the cutoff line of my custom projector is standing up as much as the design/concept.

Well there you go. I've assembled a kit fired it up using a rectifier so I can shoot a few pics. Please don't comment on my photography skills.... that is something I need practice a lot on :/

Note that all projectors that I make are tested in a same fashion way. The cutoff line (or FOCUS) is adjusted so that the projector can be shipped with a sharp and crisp 'factory" quality line. Having a quality cutoff line is also mandatory for beam alignments when on the car. Other aftermarket (or plastic made!) bi-xenon projectors can sometime be a pain due a low quality (uneven) cutoff line. Hence the reason it is important for some to ensure that this is taken care of (of course it was).

Out of context: with a bi-xenon HID projector, there is nothing better to see ahead of you when you drive on bumpy surfaces. The cutoff line moves up/down like a laser scanner. I love love love it. Hard to explain in words but it kinda remind you how precise the Porsche suspension system is. Fancy set-up! (screw halogen forever for me).

Other features worth mentioning, and important for all responsible Porsche car owner, is the selection of a HID ballast. I am using the latest in terms of technologies available commercially. It is made by the most reputable manufacturer here in China and was recommended to me by the local professionals in the HID trade. It is a full Digital 35w canbus ballast with arc stabilizer, very low heat, protection features and EMC (Electro-Magnetic Compatibility). Meaning you can run the 20,000+volts right over your mobile phone and it will still receive and make calls without a single buzzing or circuit damage. Not cheap but it's Magic and mandatory for a Porsche car imo. No more flicking and annoying loud "ticking" sound noise coming out of your speakers when turning ON the headlights! I am very satisfied with this also being sorted.

If you have any question I'll be happy to answer them. Apologies if the above reply wasn't conclusive to what it was meant to achieve.

I am normally very humble about things in life but these are simply the "Ultimate Bi-Xenon Porsche projectors" (Carrera GT style as bonus!). I do these along with many other motorcycle and car aftermarket parts as a "hobby" and only would want to share the successes with other 986 owners like myself. It's not for profits believe me as running heavy CNC equipment for hours, carbide cutters, materials, imported dyes, using the best chemicals and paints, CO2 laser tubes, electricity, coolants, etc etc.... it all adds up very quickly. Profits are justified however very insignificant - it's just for fun really Be cool!

^ Here we go. My testing set-up. Yes it's a "3.6". I'll swap the burnt LED display in a few years maybe. This rectifier is getting olddd but still very good.

^ Here goes the cutoff line nice and crisp. Includes everything (arc and cutoff). Good enough for me and my Porsche car, it should be good enough for anyone (I am a picky PITA).

^ Another view from. Flat wall (3 meter far).

^ Try this with a substandard ballast and let me know if your phone still works after sparking them ON and OFF