View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
AKnowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
... but I must say it is entirely disappointing having such major issues looming. Basically, you can't buy a Porsche from this era without a heavy burden knowing this issue may come up, along with a few others.
Having looked around at other cars, both past and present, I have to say this concept just isn't really valid for me as I think every car has its own issues. No car is 100% reliable and all require maintenance.

In regard to self destruction, well I was amazed at the number of cars I was looking at with overhead cams that brought up the "replace the timing belt every 30-50K or whatever the magic number is) or face total destruction of the engine or at the very least the top end. Many of these same vehicles required replacing the water pump at the same time and the water pump was not an externally replaceable part. You had to remove a major part of the engine components to get to it.

I don't think it matter what car you look at. If you want no worries, just buy new with a warranty. Get a factory extended warranty if possible when you buy it if you want to not be concerned for 5-10 years. Before it expires, buy another new one.