View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Shehadehd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
I like it! Nice work. How will you get it to turn off when you remove the key?
Urban, I've been considering multiple options for this question. I plan on having the iPad Mini connected to a USB-to-cigarette-lighter that is wired behind the dash. That way, whenever the car is on, it will be powered.

Now, one thing I noticed is that the cigarette lighter is always hot in our boxsters. To get around this I've come up with two possible solutions. The first is that I'll wire a relay switch in series with the charger and connect it to a wire that only goes live when the car is on, effectively only letting the iPad charge when the car is on. The second option is to use the footwell lighting switch from the targa (available at ****************************************************) as a controllable switch so that the iPad charges only when I want it too and will automatically turn off when the car is off (because the switch will no longer be powered)

Thanks for all the support. I just ordered a radio removal tool so that I can get into my dash and do a quick swap for visual comparison.

Last edited by Shehadehd; 10-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote