Thread: Airbag light
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanpearch
With the airbag dash light on, how do I check the trouble codes and erase the light? The service manual seems to imply that it has to be checked with a Porsche scan tool. The OBD2 scan tool I have can check engine codes but does not have access to the air bag controller. I tried pulling bthe E1 fuse for the airbag controller but the codes must be stored on flash memory because they did not erase. The air bag light came on about the time I had the passenger seat out of the car for engine access but it has since been put back in. Any advise would be helpful on retriving and erasing these codes.

2000 Boxter S w/o side airbags
Hi,

Not having the Passenger Seat in place will trigger an AirBag Fault.

The Car uses a SMART technology which can sense when there is an occupant in the Passenger Seat and not and will disable the AirBag if no weight is detected on the Seat. It relies on a Sensor in the Seat which is plugged into the AirBag Harness. If this circuit is Open, such as when removing the Seat with the Battery connected (which you should never do), you'll trigger a Fault and the Light will come on.

This may reset once the Seat is reinstalled and the the electical connection is re-made. If not, you're in for a trip to the Dealer. The AirBag uses a proprietary Code which only the PST2 can reset. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote