View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bruce View Post
I have developed a slow flashing coolant light, which I understand equates to either a coolant level problem or a engine compt. fan. I have confirmed my coolant level is correct.

My question is, how do I check the operation of the engine compt. fan and is there a way to check the coolant level sensor? I do not own a durametric to run the fan.

Thx in advance. This is an 02 base.
You will need either the Durametric system or access to a PIWIS unit to test the engine compartment fan without taking the car apart to manually test the fan.

The coolant level sensor is located at the bottom of the surge tank in the rear trunk, and can be accessed by pulling the carpet back. The rate of the flashing light also will tell you what is up:

"Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote