View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Topless - wonder what would happen if a pipe is welded between the 2 cans, connecting them? Would resonance go away?
Lets all be clear on this. You never want any exhaust leaks in the system. Make sure it is absolutely tight. The sound from an exhaust leak is different from 2-3k acoustic resonance drone caused by exhaust tuning. Apples and oranges. The goal is a tight exhaust AND no 2-3k acoustic resonance.

To solve the resonance problem you need wave cancellation in the 2-3K drone zone. Sort of the same technology as the Bose headphones that cancel outside noise. A perfectly placed connector pipe that is the right length and right diameter might work. It will require math or a lot of trial and error. A noticeable drone or nasty exhaust note is an indication that resonance and acoustic standing waves are interfering with the free flow of exhaust gases. I have not yet seen a drone-free 2-can exhaust but it is possible with precise acoustic tuning.

Essentially Porsche engineers carefully tune the stock exhaust to cancel frequencies in the 2-3K drone range, reduce overall loudness from 110db to about 90db, and let the sweetness of the motor come through under full throttle. They spend a ton of R&D time and money to get the sound right because it is a big part of Porsche DNA. The stock exhaust is big and heavy but it works well. The best solution I have seen is to do the Pedro sport exhaust mod which retains the 2-3k wave cancellation while letting more sound out.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Topless; 10-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote