Thread: Tire width?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Ok, so the tires I really want are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Not available in 265/35-18 in Europe, not in 255/35 either but are available in 275/35. Stock 225/40 is available, but not 235/40.

So I have limited choices that are as follows:

1) Increase stagger to 50mm by using a 275/35 rear without changing from front 225/40. How negative will that be with regard to understeer, etc?

2) Choose a different tire: Michelin PS2, PS3, or Bridgestone S02A are my available choices in stock sizes. The S02A and PS2 are N rated.

Please don't suggest other tires then these, I've already narrowed down the list to these based on my preferences and what is actually available. You US guys are lucky with TireRack. Of course I could get 'em shipped for a meeeelion dollars.

What to do?
Well, I approach this problem a little differently. I figure out what sizes I want to run and then shop for tires in those sizes. I do leave a little room for adjustment +/- 10mm in width. If they match the diameter goal, fit the rims, and have the desired grip characteristics, brand name is less important to me. YMMV

If you really want the Michelins, try a set in 225/275 and let us know how you like them. Lots of drivers run that size and are happy with them.