View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
AKnowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Hopefully 2 wires per door won't add up to too much work.
Forget that thought. Reason I say this is because I plan to pull 12ga wires to feed my 6.5" subwoofers. You have two choices:

A) Drill some holes through the frame and the door sill and pull the wires. You'll need some kind of loom to protect the wires and a way to make sure they don't cause a problem closing the door.

B) Pull the wires through the existing loom. Mine is fully populated, but has a connector and wires that are not in use. I removed that connector and plan to pull the wires through the remaining hole. I also plan to pull the existing wire harness, unwrap it, remove the extraneous wires form the old speaker plus the unused connector and then rewrap it.

I chose option B because it is the cleanest install. Plus it uses the stock method of routing and protecting the wires without causing any door clearance issues.

As for mounting, I'd suggest forgetting about buying stock covers. It'll be a lot easier to fabricate a mounting plate and use the supplied speaker covers that come with whatever speaker you buy.