View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
MNBoxster

Hi,

I think any opportunity to Drive and be critiqued by an Observer is beneficial. And, the Porsche DE's are good and certainly affordable, but they are limited. You learn by repetition, and these DE's simply aren'y available often enough to truly improve your skills.

The Evolution Schools are excellent and a good intro into Auto-X. This is one area often overlooked by many Drivers. It is a Fun, inexpensive way to to Drive your car as you never could legally on the Street. Plus, there are Car Clubs and Auto-X Groups meeting frequently (virtually every weekend here in Mpls. during the Temperate months). This allows you to keep your hand in it and improve over time.

You usually only need a Helmet to get started. I regularly see guys bringing their Daily Drivers just to learn and open them up a little. There's one Guy with an Accura RS who yanks the Car Seat out of the Back, but at least he's out there. I've seen everything from Saturns to purpose built Auto-Xers out there. It can be as competitive as you want to make it.

If you really catch the Fever, then Schools like Bondurant, Sharpe, and such are Great! Mrs. MNBoxster has given me several of these as presents through the years including the Indy Driving Experience (the Driving course, not the Ridealong). These are a great way to experience such tracks as Watkins Glen, Sears Point, Laguna Seca and IMS (Indianapolis Motor Speedway). But, these are fairly expensive and not available locally to many. Hope this helps...
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote