View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
pjq

No I don't think it would split open but may it rack/twist or spread slightly??
The bentley book shows the procedure with the support removed. 101 Projects shows the project with the support in.
I read somewhere, 101 projects website I think, that wayne recommends if you do remove the support be sure to get a four wheel alignment.
I also saw an engine installation on line where they are using a come-a-long to pull the sides back together so as to be able to install the axle support, so on that note I guess the sides must have moved some?
For me temporarily jacking the car up higher was not an issue but removing the cross member structure was an unknown that may have issues. I had a failed engine (IMSB and metal throughout the engine)but I didn't know just how extensive it was at that time, I didn't need any more unknowns.

As a side note - when i removed the exhaust sytem it come out quite easily, 1 piece. After sitting to the side for 5 months when i went to install it back in its place it wouldn't fit width wise. In that time period, 5 months, it had sprung out, approx. 1 inch. Just enough I could not get it into position. I had to use 2 ratchet straps to very slowly pull it back together then place it into position and secure it.

So if you did remove the axle support I would put it back immediately after the engine was slide out from under the car.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote