View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Janner

2000 boxter, rough idle but no CEL

Hi all,

New here ... have a 2000 Boxter (not an S) with about 85k miles, and had a dealer oil service in June 2013.

Last Friday, when coming home from an errand started the car, idled fine, made a phone call before leaving the parking lot, before the call ended the car started to idle rough and the rpm's dropped ... I turned off the engine, sat a few minutes then started the engine again ran kinda rough. I headed home. The whole time there was NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

When I got home, about 1.5 miles, checked the dash again ... NO CEL ... and also checked the oil ... was low so added some ... the dash oil says FULL.

I started it yesterday and it idled rough so turned it off after about 10 seconds.

This morning I started the car, and it idled not quite so rough but the idle fluctuated between just over 500 rpm to about 1200 rpm ... eventually after about 60 seconds the car idled down and shut off on its own.

Again, at no point has the CEL light come on.

At the moment, have limited fund so any helpful advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Janner

P.S. Could a cracked/leaking oil filler tube cause this problem and if yes, is this something I can do myself or must I take it to a garage?

Last edited by Janner; 09-24-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: forgot something ...
Janner is offline   Reply With Quote