View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #16
moresquirt

Watch the video below,the other end off the ims (the shaft) is closed and there fore any oil that manages to penetrate the seal that has not been removed and enters into the shaft will stay there ,it may seep back into the bearing eventually while sitting for extended period off time like over the winter.Note based on this new info i believe it is more important to change your oil prior to putting the car in storage ,that is if u need to do that.That way the oil the bearing is sitting in is atleast clean with little acid which has aqumulated over the miles since your last change.Changing it out in the spring is a wrong move i believe and any moisture that has built up over the winter will be burned off in the first ride.Again i still believe for those with 06 thru 08 cars this may be be the only affordable option and i am still seriously considering it,just want a little more street time on how well it holds up.based on more study it may be that even if a little oil gets by the permenant non removed seal,and it somhow seeps back into the bearing over time it will be washed away by filtered clean cool oil.I would say that if u install the kit and u pull off the outside seal and no oil has penetrated it (still has grease inside) thrn your good to go,but if it appears tht oil has penetrated the first seal than the rear seal may be compramized and u will need to make a judgement call as that time,
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote