View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
thom4782

The large single row bearing can carry the same or greater loads than the dual and early single row bearings respectively. So seal integrity for 2006 engines does play a bigger role. The cheapest strategy and a pretty good one seems to be just keeping the oil fresh and clean, that is change it once a year or every 5000 miles whichever comes first. Removing the outer seal is the next cheapest. And if you want to throw DOF into the mix then, just keep in mind that you'll be introducing another risk factor by changing the geometry and flow paths of the lubrication system. The most expensive route is replacing the bearing with a triple row unsealed ceramic one.

Everyone needs to do their own calculation on how much they want to pay to reduce total risk. Just keep in mind two things. Large single row bearing fail less than 1% of the time. There are many other reasons Boxster engines destroy themselves. Worn chain rails in one of them. Part of figuring what to do is figuring out where you want to spend your money. For me, it's on my worn variocam chain rails in my 100K car.

PS: If the outer seal is removed, then oil will lubricate the bearing and a leaking inner seal won't have a big impact if it has one at all.

Last edited by thom4782; 09-22-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added PS
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote