View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
riverside986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Variocam comes in between 2850-3000 rpm. If you drive above this or below this, you have less chance of failure (we see no failures in the race cars as we are constantly above 3krpm)

People in LA going from zero to 40 to zero to 40 to zero to 40 in 1st gear, stress the IMSB BIG time. Each time the chain gets loaded in the 2850-3000 rpm.
I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, though I've been a Boxster owner since the spring of '97. After all this time, there's always a lot to learn about these cars. My current 986 is a low-mileage 2004 S 550 Special with Tiptronic. Beautiful car, has so far been amazingly trouble-free. But I've come to realize that it's a model year fairly susceptible to the IMS thing.

I find Brad's views on the Variocam interesting. Does the 2850-3000 rpm figure apply to all model years of the 986? I typically use the shift paddles on the Tip, so it's no big deal to pay more attention to the tach and shift points. Besides, it's an exercise in futility to repeatedly flog these things in 1st gear in our SoCal gridlocked traffic, only to gain a second or so to the next line-up of brake lights.

Best of all, I'm now retired, have the luxury of mostly choosing the time and place of my Boxster driving.

Last edited by riverside986; 09-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
riverside986 is offline   Reply With Quote