View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Cluelessnblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
If you're losing a pint over several days, you have a slow leak. I don't think the oil gauge is accurate enough to prove coolant is mixing with oil. LoOK for intermix in the coolant tank or on the dip stick. My guess is your leak is on the front side of the coolant tank or the water pump. You might consider having a different shop loOK for the leak.
Hi thom4782

Your idea of having a different shop look for a coolant leak sounds as if it is the first thing I should do next. I'm guessing the water pump would be an easier job than the coolant tank and therefore cheaper, but then I don't know?

It doesn't look as if there is any oil in the coolant tank, but what colour is coolant meant to be? Mine is a sort of pale and watery coffee colour.....should it be blue? The oil and filter were changed last weekend and look OK to me. I went for a 20 minute drive in her tonight and took her up to about 90 mph. The temperature remained on 80, no warning lights, a tiny bit of mist from the exhaust pipe when I turned her over but only for about 1 minute and very minor. When I got back I checked the oil level again and this time it was 3 sections below and low on the dipstick too, so I agree with your comment on the oil gauge not being terribly accurate. The oil on the dipstick looked completely clean but it was too dark to check the coolant level.

I'll take a look at some prices on coolant tanks and water pumps and take her into another garage early in the week and will tell them what you said. Many thanks for your help and for getting back to me so quickly.
Cluelessnblonde is offline   Reply With Quote