View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
Perfectlap

I think it depends if you're asking about long-term ownership or just driving the car for a few years.

Lont-term? This car is very expensive to run, particularly if you live where there is extreme hot or extreme cold weather and the roads are bad. It's a fragile sports car. Not Ferrari fragile but while I would say its a fairly reliable car, I would not call it a durable car.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably keep a 996 GT3 long-term since the engine still keeps the value up, and I would have beein in and out of all other non-GT3 engined Porsches in short 2-4 year stints.
The rule would be in by 30K miles (let the previous owner take the depreciation hit) and out by 50K miles (let the next owner pay $3K for a new clutch/ims... among many other repairs).

I only wish the 981S would have come sooner. I found the 987.1 brake to be mushy/spungy and didn't feel it was a big enough jump from a 986 S. Instead of unveiling the 987.2, I wish they would have just gone to the 981. They'd be coming out of warranty by now and would be a great bargain. But I still have mixed feelings about the 981, particularly the steering, giant wheel well arches which pretty much require you to run a huge wheel for nothing to do with performance and the Panamera interior has not grown on me, ditto for the CGT scoops.
And $700 a month payments can wait. No way I'm plunking down cash for a car with the stock market on fire either.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-13-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote