View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Wow guys, this Porsche newbie has a lot to learn about these cars but we all were this dumb about them at some time.

My advice to Donner is to take the constructive suggestions and go get the car towed to a shop that knows about Porsches and can diagnose whats going on.

Donner, just know that you can not treat a Porsche like a typical car, it needs special treatment and expertise so as not to mess it up.

For example, you can not just put regular antifreeze mix in a Porsche via the collant fill cap if you have lost too much coolant. (Emptied the coolant tank in the trunk)

You need the right kind of antifreeze and then you have to follow the special proceedure to "burp" all the air pockets out of the coolant system.

So in any case since your not very knowledgeable about the Boxster its best you take it to a shop that is.

Continuing on with things gone wrong in a Porsche will end up costing you many times what the car is worth so your better off getting things looked at as soon as they happen.

Generally, if ANY of the RED lights come on it need Immediate attention and the amber/yellow lights can usually wait till you get home except for the "Check Engine Light"

As you can see us Porsche enthusiasts are quite passionate and it hurts our souls when we see a car in trouble and getting less than the full care it deserves
If he was asking about the AO sep or the temp sensor in the grill it would be a newbie thing. But ignoring critical flashing lights, even if your dad said ignore them, even in a Hyundai is a lack of something basic. It's not about being a Porsche enthusiast, it's about using common sense and google. How do we suppose we all found this site? In dire trouble or to learn about prevent maint and learn the car?

My biggest issue is resale. If he told me those things I would pass. And this shows how ineffective the certified preowned Porsche thing is. If he gets all his oil changes how would they know this guy is driving like this under these conditions? Perfect excuse to eliminate / reduce how many IMS claims?

Tim
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote