View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
04 S 6 speed

This has been the toughest task yet with the whole engine rebuild, what a PITA! 3 days 4 tries (2 - 3 hrs each try) and finally last night on the 4th try it slid in.
Each try I couldn't get the transmission closer than 1.25 inches, engine flange to transmission flange. The distance was even, 1.25", all the way around the flange but wouldn't slide in, so I descided to take the pressure plate and clutch plate off and re-align with the centering tool.
Since I had the clutch assembly off I tried installing the transmission onto the flywheel and pilot bearing. After a small bit of adjustment the 2 flanges came together nice and tight so I now knew that it would fit. I marked the transmission jack and took measurements, again, around the transmission so I could duplicate a successful insertion when I attached the clutch assembly again.
This method of fitting without the clutch assembly was definitley a help but for the final assembly I still had to tweak the jack (about 1/8") and turn the crank to align the splines and it finally slid in!
I'm glad thats behind me.

With the engine already in the car is there any easier method?
I had the same issue, first time it went in like butter in 2 minutes or less. Second time spent 2 to 3 hours wrestling it, had to walk away. Next morning after good night's sleep it went right in, they can be persnickety about it.

The engine was in the car.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote