View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
This thread is a follow up to my thread on my first DE event here:
Getting ready for my first DE - Roebling in Savannah, GA Sep7-8th

I had a great time but on the final run of the I felt like it was going really well, coming out of turn 9 onto the long straight at Roebling at maybe 80 and then accelerating through 100 with WOT the power dropped out for a second or two, the CEL blinked a few times, and I dropped a *huge* plume of smoke out the back lasting for a few seconds. Power came right back and the CEL went off, but I went ahead and came into the pits early after turn 4 as a precaution. Luckily nobody was immediately behind me, but during my limp to turn 4 to pit I probably aggravated the folks behind me (sorry folks!).

I brought my durametric, and it showed codes P0300 and P0305 and P0306 (misfires in Cy 5 & 6 of the type that are damaging to the cats)

I had just changed my oil before this event (Castrol Syntec 5W40) and I believe I slightly overfilled (1 bar above the top on the electronic gauge, and slightly above the top on the dipstick).

The consensus at the track was that I overwhelmed the AOS (which was last replaced 3/20/2012 about 9,000 miles ago - I just looked that up in my service history, when I was at the track I was unsure when it was replaced, only that it was sometime in the last 50,000 miles) during the high stress driving of the high speed right hand turn/track driving which dropped a smoke bomb out the back.

I decided not to make any more runs until I got this sorted out and so I came on home (3 hr drive back home which went fine)

Until this point I have had a puff here or there during startup maybe 2 or 3 times but never during driving.

Additional information: during my first run a person behind me said they smelled/saw a thin stream of smoke coming out from the back of the car from the middle, but nobody else saw it.

My instructor said there was a possible performance AOS available (and from looking it looks like that may be available for later models?) but I am looking to get this sorted out before I go back to my next event.

I have seen several other threads where folks have had this same thing at the track, and each one seems to have a different solution, such as fill only to halfway on the gauge, one person switched to M1 0W40, some folks installed a new AOS or a newer/enhanced version of an AOS with more capacity.

I haven't had a chance to take a look in the engine compartment, look inside the throttle body, MAF, etc... and before I get ready to go in there I want to make sure I am checking everything I can.

Does anyone have any guidance or hot tips for my next steps?

Is there a performance/enhanced capacity AOS available for MY2000 Boxster S?

Should I try to have full, half, or bottom of the range for oil? (above full was a mistake, I won't do that again, and if I am still slightly above full should I drop the oil filter cover and drain a little out to get it to below the full mark?)

Thanks!

Steve
Changing the filter will drain off about 1/2 quart of oil, and is the easiest and cleanest way to lower the oil level. Be sure to use a new O-ring on the filter housing.