View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
mjw930

2nd gear issues with 986S (6 speed)

First off, I did a search and didn't come up with much so I'm posting this to get a feel for how many people here have had problems.

I'm having a persistent problem engaging 2nd gear, primarily on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. I'll pull it into 2nd and it feels like it's engaged but when I let out the clutch it's not in gear. If I'm holding the shifter it will grind (not a pleasant sound). If I go up into neutral then back down it will go into gear.

It doesn't do it all the time, rarely (almost never) has it done this in the 3rd to 2nd down shift and it does seem to be worse when it's cold but not always.

I've read a lot on other forums about 2003 and early 2004 996 gearboxes having a chronic issue, so much so that dealerships had pallets of 996 gearboxes in their parts department used as warranty replacements for people who experienced exactly what I do. I even notice that PowerHaus II sells a retrofit gear set that claims to "fix" this problem.

Of course I'll be getting the dealer's opinion but I want to know how many of you have had this problem and what you or your dealers have done to fix it.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote