View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I'd say your tension cables are toasted. Although they may look in good condition, they are stretched to their max already. Get a new set of cables >$100 and you are done. Many DIY around RE how to change those.

Car looks good btw, either it's brand new kept indoor title or you have some serious detailing skills
By tension cables do you mean these:

I've been adjusting them without effect. I believe I used the cables from my 2000 top when I made the swap because the 2004 top did not have them when the recycling yard shipped the top to me. I could believe that the cables have stretched, but I'd like to be as sure as possible they need to be replaced before I spend the money.

Thanks for the compliment on the car's appearance. I bought it used about 7 years ago and the first owner kept it in the garage and only drove it 30,000 miles. I've put over 50,000 miles on it in the 7 years I've owned. During part of that period, I had to store it outside under a cover. Now I do have a garage.

The car's build date was 9-11-99, so it will be celebrating its 14th birthday in less than a week. I gave it a good waxing with with my Porter Cable random orbit polisher for the occasion.

Thanks for your reply.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote