View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
thom4782

Couple of thoughts...

If your son does hire a lawyer, he should hire one who practices before the court where your son must appear. Often the lawyer can appear on your son's behalf allowing your son to avoid traveling. The lawyer will know if this is possible.

Visit the Virgina state bar website. It may have lawyer referrals there by specialty area. If it doesn't, you might call the Bar directly and ask for advice. If you do get some referrals, check their Martindale-Hubbard ratings. It will give you a sense for their skill sets.

There's also a website called Just Answer Traffic Law. You can describe the circumstances and ask for some advice on what defenses are available to the citation. It costs about $35 bucks to get a lawyer to provide some guidance. I recently used this for a minor traffic accident to reduce my liability. The lawyer / expert may also suggest how to get the charge reduced

Hopefully a forum member in VA will have some recommendations. It would be helpful to mention the town where the court is so a really local forum member might suggest a lawyer in that town.

My sense is that it's best for a lawyer talk to the prosecutor about pleading to a lesser offense.

No idea whether the local court can compel Ohio to revoke your son's license or add points to it. Again, the local lawyer should know this.

Last edited by thom4782; 09-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote