View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
KevinH1990

I've done a little more research on this.

A co-worker has a 2004 Boxster with the original factory-installed top that he has not modified in any way. The wrinkles in his top are identical to mine. So, while I am now more confident I installed the top and frame correctly, I am concerned about a part of the frame that appears to be putting pressure on two areas of the fabric when the top is open.

You can see the areas in the first picture of my original post. They are in the middle of the B pillar. One is a small indentation and the other is a small protrusion. They are prominent after I raise the top, but tend to become less noticeable if the top is left up for a period of time. I'm concerned that they may wear through over time, particularly when I put my hard top on for 3 or 4 months.

I looked behind the headliner and saw this part attached to the frame.

(This picture was taken with the headliner gently pulled away from the top looking at what would be the inside of the B pillar in a non-convertible.)

This appears to be causing the potential wear areas. It seems to be designed to hold the bow in front of it in place when the top is down. I'm considering putting some foam padding on the end of it to spread the pressure over a wider area. Before I do that, does anyone see any potential problems this could cause?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote