Thread: Should I ????
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

MrYellow:

I have a buddy who owns a spyder and dropped a supra engine in it (the same one that Lotus uses in the Elise, if I'm not mistaken).

The car is wicked, blinding, stupid-fast! And, the engine upgrade was cheap. His mechanic had to do a little fabrication on the exhuast to get it to fit, but it wasn't a big deal.

Why tell you about this? From recent and personal experience, older Boxsters are expensive to maintain, especially as daily drivers. By keeping your spyder and replacing the engine the way my buddy did, you'll have a spyder that will absolutely KILL most boxsters out there, and keep right up with lots of very expensive cars like M3's, A4's, etc.

Now if you've always dreamed of owning a Porsche and want to buy one regardless, buy the newest you can afford, and save up for the S... that way you won't wish you'd have bought it later. I think Jim or Doc on this forum said it best: "The cheapest Porsche is the most costly car to own."

Should you wish to correspond with my friend who owns the spyder, I'll gladly give you his email address through a PM.

PS - I refuse to race him in my 2.5L 1997 Box. Well, that's until I get my SC kit installed at the end of the year. Then we'll need to find a lonely road.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote