View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Cloudsurfer

If you have the engine town down, don't do the LN IMS retrofit, send them your whole shaft and get the triple bearing IMS (which can't be done through the case hole, but involves them having the whole shaft at their facility), or, better yet, do the IMS Solution.

If you are re-using the factory rods, you need to check clearances, and use new rod bolts.

If you're on a budget, you can certainly do a rebuild using stock parts, but, if you want added performance and reliability, have LN sleeve your 3.2 out to a 3.6 with their JE pistons, get their R&R rods with ARP hardware, have the heads lightly ported and cleaned up.

If you're planning a stock rebuild, I would very carefully inspect and measure your cylinder bores.

Also note that the last time I checked, new piston rings from Porsche were almost as much as new pistons from JE!!

Obviously you're going to need a complete gasket kit, and the bolts in the bearing carrier are one time use stretch bolts, so you'll need to replace those, and note that they have a slightly weird, very specific torque procedure.

Either way, I'd use the billet IMS tensioner paddle with the updated tensioner, replace the rest of the chain guides, replace the VarioCam solenoids. Something else to look at, especially with 120k on the clock, are the intake cam's bearing sleeve (that aluminum thing on the driven end of the cam) and the little sealing rings inside it (that ride in grooves on the cam). You likely have wear on on the rings, and possibly that bearing sleeve, and what happens when those leak is you'll get laggy VarioCam response, as you're leaking oil past those rings and it's not getting to the vane cell to move the cam.

Do you have all the engine assembly and timing tools?