View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060
I have noticed, over the past few weeks, that each morning I get into my 2001 Boxster that I purchased in November with 42,000 miles as a CPO Boxster, when I start it up, for the first say 3 or 4 minutes, there is a small but unusual amount of smoke that comes from the exhaust, I find this to be very odd since at no other time during the day when i'm out running errands or work or whatever does this smoke/exhaust appear, only when I get into the car in the morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to look at or might be the cause or any similar experiences?
Hi,

Some slight smoke on a Cold Startup is normal for an Engine with Horizontal Cylinders like a Boxer Engine. This is because Oil won't flow back to the Oil Sump under Gravity as it would with an upright V engine. Most likely, once the Engine has completely cooled and things contract, such as the Rings, some Oil can pass the Oil Control Rings and get into the Combustion Chamber. It also can enter through any open valves as well. Add to this that some moisture will also condense inside the Muffler and add to the effect as Steam.

With 42k mi. on the Clock, you could also have an Oil Separator starting to go bad, but the smoke you'd see due to this would not be nearly so slight as you indicate.

It's most likely nothing. Keep an eye on it, and your Oil level, and take the appropriate remedy if it worsens. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-03-2006 at 11:21 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote