View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
aglsteven

Easy replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner
I am the new owner of a '98 with a faulty original head unit. The display is often garbled, it will not pick up some local stations, it turns itself off. When I consulted the local stereo shop we have used several times, they informed me if they replaced the head unit, it would disable my factory alarm system; and I would have to replace the amp and CD changer.
Does anyone know whether replacing the head unit, will disable my factory alarm system?

Hi Sooner,

I replaced my original Becker CDR 21 with a CDR220 OEM replacement unit from Ebay. The guys at Fred Opert Racing were selling them. Improvement all round. I've now got an input socket to plug my ipod in (sacrificed the CD stacker in the front but left all the cables intact should I wish to revert), the display is better, sound is better, what more can I say.
Can't comment on the alarm, as my car doesn't have one, only the factory immobiliser that certainly was not affected.

Sorry to disagree with a lot of guys on this board, but I prefer the factory look, and Becker head units are very high quality (Becker is part of Harman/Kardon). The speakers and factory amp from Nokia are the components I would look to replace.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote