View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
markk

> ... you must concede many of the things I say are true...PEACE!
Peace always. Yes I do concede to your line of reasoning and yes I did react a bit strong language wise and yes I took one sentence outof it.

Maybe I read want I wanted to read. People, especially people owning nice cars like Boxster's, M3's, etc. most often argue that they are the best, engineered to the maximum limit, etc., etc. This belief is most often fed by sales man. I still think that is complete BS. They are still just mass production cars with tradeoffs made for the big public. If you know what you are doing, if you want to take the financial burden and if you always keep the balance, in all aspects, of the car at mind you can improve on those cars. Financially it is never wise, but then again you only live once.

A Porsche Boxster is IMHO a beautifully balanced car, in many aspects not only handling. If there is a thing which calls for improvement it is power output. The engine in a Boxster is not a very reliable thing and it is not a very efficient / highly tuned sportscar engine. There is, IMHO, room for improvement. Again, look at the (S) headers, this is were Porsche really took a compromise, maybe deliberately limitting power output to not get into 911 space. They did realised this themselves because the "new" 987S 280bhp engine does have proper headers and intake mods which plays a major (not all) part in the power difference. Another example is the absence of a proper mechanical Limited Slip Differential (LSD) for the car.

Modding a car can be very addictive and financially bad. I drive an Subaru Impreza GT Turbo and modded the engine output which is fairly easy given its a turbo charged engine. Then you start doing the crappy brakes, then the crappy handling, then the gearbox/diff setup, then the weakness in the body, etc., etc. ,etc. Eventually you find yourself at a moment that you could better have bough an Mits. EVO.

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote