Thread: My new Boxster!
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
HammerESQ

I'll give you some advice I wish someone gave me back when I was big in the import tuner scene back in the 90's. Don't.... Just don't. It's easy to fall into the whole big wheels, big spoiler thing. It's easy to want to 'upgrade' your car because your friends do. It's stupid. It's tacky. And I guarantee you'll look back on it after you've been a car guy for 10 years or so and think 'what was I thinking?!?!'. PLUS you already have a spoiler that deploys at the speed it's needed. You know what other car does that? The Veyron. How many of your friends can say that about their cars?

Take your $1000 and spend it learning everything you can about your car and how to work on it. Save to pay your local shop to do the jobs you can't do, and try to tackle the jobs you can (like an oil change, and air filter replacement). Make friends with people who are close to your on the forums, find out if you've got a local Porsche group and start hanging out with them, read everything you can on Pelican and Pedro's about projects you can start to tackle.

Take the money you have left over and go out and LEARN how to drive your car. Look at your local Auto X events, and get involved with the PCA.

Once you know a little bit more about how to work on your car, and how to drive your car you will be best equipped to know where you should spend your money to make your car better. Hint: It isn't going to be on wheels, a spoiler, or a stereo system.

Just a rant from a guy who's been there before. Post some pictures of your car! We like pictures of cars around here, oh and welcome to the community!
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote