View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
gregdacat

Believe me it is not just Porsche or cars in general for that matter. I am the Safety Supervisor for the second largest privately held waste hauler in the US and I can tell you it is getting hard to find a new trash truck that is a manual transmission. Nearly all of the major manufacturers, Mack, International, ect. have gone to automatics. Rear loaders, Front loaders, Side loaders, Box Trucks, Portable Toilet trucks all automatics. About the only trucks that are still predominately manual transmission are Roll Off Trucks.

While a Rear load driver that has 300-450 stops a day or a Side Loader who can have up to 1000 stops love not having to shift all day this can be a problem. In the Commonwealth of Kentucky if you show up to take your CDL driver's test in an automatic they put a restriction on your license that states you cannot drive a manual. So if a guy has this restriction and wants to transfer to Roll Off he is SOL. We generally have to send a driver taking his test in a Roll Off or find some rusted out junk bucket in the bone yard that has a manual.

Looks like people like me that were weaned on a 5 and 2 or a 13 speed are modern day dinosaurs.

Last edited by gregdacat; 08-21-2013 at 03:11 AM.
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote