View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
bryant

Rear (plastic) window split -- above temp thresh outside.

So, this time last year, I was a Floridian. Had been a Floridian for five years. It's warm in Florida.

Now we're in Ohio. It's cold in Ohio. Very cold.

Winter came earlier than expected, I had some health problems, long story short, the last time the car was pulled into the garage, the top was down. Hadn't hooked up the trickle charger, hadn't done all the things I planned to for Winter storage. Just another day in the garage, that turned into a three month sit.

During that three months, the old Interstate battery died. No big deal, I had planned on replacing that with an Optima anyway. Did that tonight, looks great.

My brother was over, and volunteered to take it over to fill it up (funny how willing people are to do that sort of thing when a Boxster is around). I asked him to put the roof up when he came back.

Right about there, those of you in colder climates are probably yelling "noooo!"

Well, 'no' is right. He heard a *pop* when the roof clicked into place. Where the plastic window had been bent inside the car had simply snapped apart. There's now a long clean split right down the middle from side to side.

Now, it's only 40 degrees out, granted. But that's not like 10 or 20. It's been in the mid to high 50s during the days. Honestly, had I been thinking clearly, I wouldn't have asked him to close the roof because of the cold -- but even thinking clearly, I don't think I would have expected it to split like that.

So, ah, here's my question... Obviously I have to find out what my policy covers, but am I screwed? Maybe some bitter person snuck in and slashed it with a knife while I was asleep? Lol, I'm joking, mostly.

I just don't know what to expect. Not from repair, or replacement. Not from coverage. I'd love to get a glass window to replace it. Can new plastic simply be sewn into place? There's nothing otherwise wrong with the roof itself. I've looked at the visor, and it says not to operate the roof under 0 degrees Celsius, as I type this, it's 36 degrees here. It was 39/40 when this happened -- I'm not under warranty anymore, but is this something worth calling my local dealership (MAG/Mid-Western Auto Group in Columbus) about? I realize 4-8 degrees is a slim margin, but it IS a margin. Technically speaking, I (he) was operating it within recommended guidelines.

Coming full circle to the health problems, they're severe, and they've directly impacted my wallet. I'm simply unable to just pay for a roof, and really, not even for repairs. I suppose I'm asking for advice -- how do I approach my insurance company (USAA, who is wonderful in my experience), and do I approach Porsche?

Either way, am I looking to replace the plastic, or the roof? If the roof, is there likely going to be an out-of-pocket expense to get into a glass rear window?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Nothing like having someone else driving your car, and they come in saying "I have some bad news." Your stomach turns -- I imagine the only one worse off is the one delivering the info. Happened on his watch, and despite the fact that it's not even remotely his fault, I'm sure he feels terrible.
bryant is offline   Reply With Quote