View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
evo-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Question for you: Is the hourly rate they charge actual time spent on the job or a book rate?

Dealers always charge a book rate. If the tech gets the job done faster (and he usually does if he's a seasoned tech) then the price is not discounted.

My indy mechanic charges $100 an hour (same rate as dealer here in Houston), but he charges me actual time if less than his estimate. Very honest way of doing business if you ask me. I can also supply my own parts, but he doesn't warrant the parts or the labor if I do that. Fair enough.
Dealer quoted 3-5 hrs depends on how easy it is to remove the one rear wheel bearing, he said some older cars are tougher to remove, their rate is $155/hr and one wheel bearing is $110 at the dealer. So worst case for a 5 hrs job it'll cost me $961 after tax, and that's just for ONE rear wheel bearing replacement. The other Indy is $175/hr and he quoted 4-5 hrs so after tax it's about $1000. I think I should search more indy for a more reasonable price. Also, while I change out the rear wheel bearing, is there anything I should have replace while they are at it? I know my trailing arm bushing is bad.