View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Brian0icu812

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
It depends on the condition of your engine in the wrecked car.

If the engine and transmission is in great shape and if you can find a similar year vehicle with a broken engine or transmission, then I might consider buying the wreck back given you can get the engine swap done cheaply. You might even try seeing to see if you can negotiate getting the wreck back for free.

On the other hand, you could buy the car back and sell the parts. The engine alone might go for several thousand.
The engine and trans are perfect, never an issue.

In my reasoning i was thinking of buying it back, parting it out and keeping the engine and trans and waiting for a donor car, given the interior, left side and other internal parts i should be able to get around 1k to 1.5k in parts with little work so in the end the engine and trans would be free other then the effort in selling the parts and storing the car

What does a donor car sell for? in decent shape, just no engine or trans. Anyone have any idea? I know to fix the ims can be around 10k which would total some cars and be close to others.

Edit: if i keep the 2.5l engin and trans it will only work with 97-99 right? or are the 00-04 axels ect. the same?

Last edited by Brian0icu812; 08-14-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Brian0icu812 is offline   Reply With Quote