View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
DanNewton

2006 Cayman S engine failure

73K miles, traveling at 65 mph, dry conditions, slight incline. A huge plume of mixed coolant/oil spewed of the tailpipes. Check engine light came on and the car ground to a halt. Flatbedded to a Porsche dealership, whose inspection found "Cataclysmic engine failure. Scoring to #5 cylinder, valve hit piston, metal debris in oil filter. No repairs possible. Needs engine replacement." So, that's the result. But what was the cause? The dealership declined to comment.

Over one year beyond CPO warranty. Porsche NA refuses to acknowledge the problems with these MY97 engines. From my recent and exhaustive reading of site forums it's not if a 2006-2008 3.4 engine will blow, it's when. You've done all the correct things right - LN Engineering IMS bearing retrofit, 2-litre deep sump with baffle, Accusump, etc. Seems like it's all you can do and you're still not sure...

I am having a reputable motorsports company put together a build sheet for another 3.4 - the stories they shared about quality control from Porsche of these engines is horrifying!

Anyway, off to blab about my story on other sites and hopefully give Porsche the black eye they deserve. Hopefully this (and the many other peoples' posts) forewarn potential buyers of these cars.

Sincerely,

Dan
DanNewton is offline   Reply With Quote