Thread: excellence
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
At the top of the cover "420-HP BOXSTER" powered by a 991 3.8!
It's on like Donkey Kong.

I predict it will be quicker than a Cayman 3.8L (like the BGB that was recently offered).
The Cayman R vs Boxster Spyder head to head on a karting track with J. Overbeek at the wheel of both produced a greater than half second per lap gap -- advantage roadster.
In autocross terms 0.6's is revealing since power was not a huge factor. The test was all about grip and handling. Put another way, a midengine car without the roof is faster and according to Overbeek significantly easier to go fast in.
I have to wonder if we see too many of these 3.8 Boxsters if Porsche will be afraid of making a 981 Boxster RS given how closely the 981S Cayman matches the 991. If an aftermarket tuner comes along and swaps the 3.8L into a lightened
981 Boxster RS it could well be the lightest, best handling Porsche that will better any Porsche but the GT3/2 (a bit unfair as these are basically very limited edition track cars). and if a tuner like BGB manage to add a SC or Turbo to a 3.8L Boxster RS, it could be in 500 HP territory. Oh boy sleeper of the year.

p.s.
I've been thinking of how it's kind of ridiculous that a Boxster variant has a wholly different name.
Ridiculous in that its purely marketing speak. Carrera Cabriolet would be called a Porsche Riviera by that logic.
987 is 987. 981 is 981.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-13-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote