View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
dghii

I received my Chromecast from Amazon ($35) yesterday and set up was easy. Not sure how I like it compared to other devices but certainly cool for the price.

I have two vacation condos that I rent out and want to put a device (Apple TV, Roku or Chromecast) to provide Netflix for my guests. Given that one can have six devices on one Netflix account, this is a cheap upgrade for the condos.

My take so far. Apple TV - Very cool and seamless. Airplay gives same functionality of Chromecast (with Airplay enabled devices). I use the Apple TV for Netflix, MLBTV and Youtube, along with music. Con is that the device does not support Amazon Video (of course)

Roku - Works great but not quite as polished as the Applle TV. Slower to boot but more channels. Supports Amazon but not MLB.tv.

Chromecast - I love the fact that it just plugs into the HDMI port. Not sure it will fit by desire to provide Netflix for my guests as the device simply cast the video from your mobile device or computer. My guest would not be able to get Netflix without them having their own account and chromcast app on their mobile device.

My take is not a knock on any of the devices. I'm just trying to find something that meets my needs, which may be different from others. Right now, I'm looking at putting the Roku's in the condos and keeping the Apple TV and Chromcast at home. I will try to stream Amazon from my chrome browser tonight to seem how it looks.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote