View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
southernstar

Pedro has suggested a harmonic inbalance to the engine at 3000 rpm's that can lead to vibration in the car. Frankly, I have never noticed it and 3000 rpms, at least in 5th gear in a 2.7, is right around my usual highway cruising rpm. I believe he also suggests that his re-engineered front engine mounts can reduce the effect.... In any event, I have read nothing to suggest that the engines should not be cruised at that rpm, nor that it will contribute to IMS shaft bearing failure, etc.

And for what it is worth, I am with Meathead on this. I have fun driving my car every day, even though I seldom take it to redline. I do not lug my engine, but I also don't drive it excessively hard. I will occasionally take her to 7000 rpm rather than the 7200 rpm redline in first and second gear (positively love the sound), but more often than not, even when driving quickly I will shift at about 6000 rpm's. Frankly, the torque curve has flattened-out by then and there is very little to gain by pushing the envelope if you are not tracking the car.

The same is true of shifting. I never hurry my upshifts as the rpms need a chance to drop a bit before engaging the next higher gear. This puts less strain on the synchronizers and adds to smoothness, all while acknowledging that it may reduce the acceleration times marginally. I also ALWAYS double-clutch my downshifts, not only because it is fun and because I love the sound of the blip of the throttle, but also because it is smoother and again, puts less strain on the drivetrain. Braking? I never intentionally leave my braking to the last possible fraction of a second on the street. Apart from wear and tear on the brakes, the risk of encountering an unexpected patch of gravel, dirt, uneven pavement, etc. that increases your required stopping distance can be ignored only at your own peril (and frankly, the peril of others using the roadway). Lets face it, even with a relatively conservative approach to braking and cornering, I have nevertheless on occasion found myself going too hot into some corners.

Simply put, I do not baby my car, but nor do I abuse it or operate it in a way that makes errors potentially more serious - i.e., over-revs, 'beating' the synchros, rushing shifts and hitting the wrong gear with potential over-revs that could destroy the engine, etc. To me 'performance driving' on the street is much more akin to driving an endurance car than qualifying a formula 1 car; 10/10's is not only harder on any car, it also leaves very little margin for error. Do I care that someone else could drive my car slightly faster over the same roads? Not one iota. Indeed, in my experience I am often able to keep pace with even potentially faster cars that are being 'over-driven'. Big slides requiring big corrections will inevitably slow your exit speed out of corners and, in a car without huge power and torque, that is a sure-fire way to go slower rather than faster over a given section of roadway.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote