View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Perfectlap

YouTube - $35 Chromecast is awesome

Not really Porsche related but if you're like me and use YouTube to watch Chris Harris on DRIVE or Top Gear, then this is a insanely awesome plug-in device (looks like a USB flash drive) to connect your TV to your Android device or Iphone/Ipad/Mac or PC. I just set it up last night with my Nexus 7 HD tablet, my Samsung 10" tablet, my Windows 7 laptop and my Razr Maxx phone -- took all of 5 minutes. On a 1 to 10 scale I give it a 14.

Basically you walk in your house, turn on the TV and from any of your Windows or Apple computers, Ipad/Iphone or Android devices you can instantly "beam" the videos to your living room TV without having to fumble with HDMI cables, you don't need to switch the TV input (the device does it automatically for you) and you don't have to fumble with those cheesy remotes that make you scroll left to right to to pick programming. You simply use your phone or tablet as the remote control, even to adjust the volume. With the touch screen it's a snap to switch between videos. And while the TV is plahying the latest 991 GT3 or Boxster S review, you can search for other videos on the tablet or phone, or you answer incoming emails or do anything else on your phone or tablet. No need to intterupt the playback on the TV.

It also works with the newest NetFlix update, Google Play (movies and TV shows), and apparently HBO2GO. That's probably like 90% of all the content viewed for either free on YouTube, the low $8 a month NetFlix subscription or the as cheap as $2 rentals on Google Play.

By the way this device is a whopping $35 and takes exactly 3 minutes to set up with your TV and home wi-fi network. The simplicity of this is pure genius. Only downside is that it's sold out for at least 2 weeks. But there are a ton of them on Ebay and maybe Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRFaRMt0d0

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote