Thread: Cold Feet
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Verhag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
So I have been in the market for a 986 S for well over a month now. I have read a lot on the car and have become fairly knowledgable. I am looking for one with 60-70K miles and my budget is 17K. There seems to be a fair amount of them out there for that price. With that said, the IMS is starting to get to me. I can afford the car, I can afford the maintaince, I can afford to replace the bearing with the LN engineering one. What I cant afford is the replacement engine if it were to come down to that.
I honestly would buy the car and immediatly put in the LM bearing. I have read articles on the LM bearing, it seems to be bullet proof but with that said there are some people who say that even with the LM bearing, it could still fail. I know the percentage of actual IMS bearing failures is very little but it still concerns me. Am I over thinking it too much? How confident are you guys with the 986 being a reliable solid car with the bearing replacement? I just dont want to buy a 15K car and have to put a 20K engine in it. Thoughts?

Just purchased a 2000 S with 75000 miles. I was prepared to put another $2000 into purcahase price to cover LN retro fit. Passed on the nicest car, opting for this one which had the LN work completed. Used the $2000 for new top, refinish wheels and new set of tires. The ims issue remains, but after replacing oil and inspecting old filter, I sleep much better at night. I realize it could still go, however buying one without the retro fit or buying one and not having the work done was just not an option for me. I understand your concerns, especially after spending time on these forums. Just plan on the extra $2000 for whichever car you find.

I have a 97 993 I also drive, and the boxster is my daily driver....a/c is outstanding here in AZ. No regrets with the 986 at all, I love it.