Thread: I sold my 986
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
fatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Jumped from a 986 to a 993 myself, 2 TOTALLY different vehicles. Each has their weak and strong points, enjoy them for what they are.....Very Cool Cars. During my 20's, 30's and 40's I have been fortunate enough to own some pretty neat cars. Every time I sold one I felt I had "moved up" when buying a successor, when purchasing a 993 I thought to myself "well, it can't get much cooler than this" and for almost 2 years now I cannot bring myself to think otherwise. I personally would not sell the 993 unless forced to, I have bought and sold quite a few cars, I like it THAT much. Air cooled Porsches are an entirely different breed which have a feel and touch when compared to newer offerings are archaic yet connected, many think that is gone forever, others may feel differently. Cheers All!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all fortunate enough to share in a brand of cars that is unequaled when it comes to Enthusiast Level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post.

I really liked the Boxster. I had 6 great years and 60K (mostly) pain free miles. In the end, I drove 10K miles per year and had $2K per year in depreciation (sold the car for $12K less than what I bought it for). Although my maintenance costs were higher than an average car, the total cost of ownership was lower than buying any new car (cheaper than buying a new Honda Accord).

The mistake I made was driving the 981. That got me thinking there was something more. Then I drove the 993 and basically bought it on the spot. I was ready to buy a 981, but I couldn't justify the buying a new 981 when the 993 was about a third of the cost!!!

My other consideration is that I am already maintaining an "old Porsche". So I figured (hope) that once I get the 993 sorted, it will cost roughly the same to maintain over time as the 986.

If I didn't drive the 981, I probably wouldn't have been looking around and another 6 years could have slipped by.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 08-02-2013 at 10:14 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote