View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Vista glass
Vista glass

Garage
Water pump questions ?

Let me start by saying [B]thank you[/B] to all here who have contributed information to get me this far. I had a water pump failure in the best possible place. Three blocks from home. I heard a thump and the warnings lit up. I thought it was just the belt but inspection revealed the water pump pulley shaft had snapped. OK I got 83,500 K out of it. When I removed the pump the original full gasket was present, but there were newer hose clamps and possibly at least one new hose at the pump. I have no records from the PO (grrr). I don't know what type of coolant was in there. I got four gallons of green stuff out. My first question is. Was the original coolant green? I plan to flush but don't know how meticulous to be as I will be using Porsche pink and distilled H2O as I go back to avoid [I]the gel[/I].Second question. Are the longer water pump bolts located at 3 and 6 o'clock looking in from the passenger compartment? They seem well seated in those positions. From advice here I installed a composite impeller pump, new low temp thermostat,new hose clamps and drain plug crush washer. I inspected the engine mount and did a new fuel filter since I was there. Bought the latest version of the coolant expansion tank cap. Got a new serp belt although the old one looked OK. I also did new mobile 1and filter, repaired under panels (thanks Pedro) replaced missing bolts on brackets and threw in an air filter. I can see upcoming service needs and will address the usual suspects as this experience has been rewarding thus far.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote