View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
pothole

Cheap-ass alignment tricks

So, I' planning on lowering my '97 as part of a suspension overhaul and I'm looking for cheap-ass ways to control the impending alignment issues.

My ideal would be roughly -2 degrees camber up front, -1 at the rear and book numbers for toe.

That probably won't be achievable, but what are the cheap ways of getting as close as possible. Here are a few options:

1. Drill the front top mount holes to give a little extra front camber
2. Adjustable front track arm bushes (not 100% sure these are available for the 986, am checking).

My first question is this: assuming No 2. works for adding camber to the front, could you use them to reduce camber at the rear? Here's a picture of the bush is question, which replaces the bush that attaches the track arm / coffin arm to the chassis:

Are there any other cheap ways of addressing the alignment issues you get at the rear when lowering?

These toe arms aren't too horrific, price-wise, and if I was US-based I would consider them:

Porsche 986 987 Boxster Boxster s 97 10 Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arm Arms | eBay

But being based in the UK, the danger is customs adding a hideous charge, not to mention the shipping costs...