View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #35
stateofidleness

To provide closure, I got this all sorted!

After installing the new (used) driver's side transmission, the drill "trick" and even hooking it up to the motor never turned the v-lever... I was exhausted, but knew it was most likely the cable not being "seated" in the metal roller on the transmission side (I figured this as I disassembled the removed one to see what the internals looked like).

So back apart it came... reseated the cable, and glued it in as well. Also glued the cable itself to the 3 clips on the transmission body to keep it from pulling out also.

After re-install, the drill trick started to work! got it close to the other side and then used the motor/switch method. Used the door "gap" and a tape measure to get both sides even. Worked like a charm. Top opens and closes perfectly now (even more flush than before the failure!!)

So... the reason for the failure was the white plastic gear inside the transmission housing. For kicks, I checked the "new" one (from an '03) and it also had hairline cracks in the plastic gear. So only a matter of time I suppose.

Appreciate all the support!
Attached Images

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote