View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
opus69

Looks like you have gotten excellent advice thus far. Just went through a similar issue with my 2002S. Right side drive cable was broken. That was not the cause of failure. The problem you had with ball pin stuck in the black spring push-rod is what caused mine to fail. Forced the upper pin of the black push-rod out (under tension & big pop). The bat wing Vee bar was so tight I don't think I could have loosened it with a box wrench. I used a socket and breaker bar (long pipe on handle of 1/2 inch drive). Not good for your tools but one click at the time it finally came loose. The rear bolt to top push-rod was fairly easy
Then to the vise to pry black push-rod off ball pin. Corrosion of this socket caused failure. Cleaned and lubed socket and now working. Had to use the vise to press ball back into socket. Replacements on order. I hate to cut any parts. As Maurice said you have to spin the cable a lot for very little movement. If you are certain the drive cable is good and you are certain the transmission is not moving, there is a plastic gear in the trans mission that can break. Not totally convinced a corroded socket caused failure I did open the transmission. Fortunately all was fine inside. Transmissions are very expensive so you don't want to go there. If you do open the transmission do so very carefully. There are alignment marks on case. If the plastic gear is bad I think you have to buy the whole transmission. I would be very certain it doesn't move before tearing into it. If you think the cable is bad you can pull the inner core out to make sure it is intact. Good Luck.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote